The Department of Experimental Research of Agricultural and Forestry Machines conducts scientific and research work of its own and in cooperation with enterprises, universities and other research institutes. The scope of work includes, among others, design and experimental research of innovative machines and devices used in agriculture, forestry and transport.
Designing innovative machines and tools:
- 3D modeling,
- models visualization,
- technical documentation,
- operations and maintenance manuals.
Virtual designing, machines and tools kinematics and dynamics analysis:
- determination of construction loads in MBS models,
- elastic and rigid solids calculations,
- possibility of creating a software for special physics phenomena
- control systems testing.
Complex FEM analysis of machines and tools frames. Calculating loads based on wide experience. Experimental research based on existing standards. Numerical structure optimization. Experimental verification of calculations results. Analysis of:
- linear statics analysis,
- nonlinear static analysis,
- modal analysis,
- structural stability,
- structural dynamics,
- rapid changing processes simulation: massive deformation, contacts, destruction, with material irregularities, plastic deformation, impact energy dissipation of construction, e.g. FOPS, ROPS),
- thermal reactions,
- construction optimization.
Fatigue life estimation
Estimating the fatigue life of machines and tools:
- based on FEM analysis results,
- based on experimental research results,
- identification and optimizing of structure weak spots,
- research for identifying causes of machines and tools damages.
Functional tests of agricultural machinery and equipment in range of:
- operating resistance measurements,
- construction stability calculations,
- industrial processes analysis,
- organic material flow analysis.
Experimental research for material tension in machines and tools using professional measuring gear in laboratory and operating conditions:
- material stress measurements,
- mechanical vibration measurements,
- construction displacements measurements,
- construction deformation measurements,
- numerical research results verification and evaluation
Experimental research for energy consumption of machines and tools
Energy consumption research:
- torque measurement,
- rotational speed measurement,
- oil flow analysis,
- pressure measurement,
- operating drag measurement,
- determining loads of working elements,
- driving velocity measurements.
Measuring systems designing
Designing of measuring systems, experimental prototypes and science test stands:
- designing specialized gear for measuring of operating loads of machines aggregated with a farm tractor,
- designing “intelligent” measuring modules sensing for changes in machine’s operating conditions
Rapid changing processes analysis
Analysis of rapid changing processes analysis using special video cameras and software:
- seed stream flow analysis,
- dust explosions,
- analysis of moving parts of machines,
- industrial processes analysis: tying, cutting, fertilizer distribution, crop spraying, coulter operation, etc.
Photogrammetric analysis using high-end cameras and professional software:
- machines and tools deformation detection and evaluation, including vehicles chassis, tank and containers,
- creating 3D models based on photos,
- high precision measurements of objects of complex geometry,
- complex geometry and irregular surfaces reconstruction, such as terrain form (Dense Surface Modeling).
Mechanical objects dynamic properties studies using methods of experimental modal analysis
Experimental modal analysis method is a technique of examining the dynamic properties of real mechanical objects. The method allows for the determination of natural oscillations’ frequency, oscillation modes and damping coefficients. During the examination of the existing object it is possible to perform the analysis with the methods such as:
- experimental modal analysis – by introducing a load into system (force),
- operating modal analysis – object dynamics is determined by excitations and forces due to operation of the machine.
Modal analysis is frequently used in machines diagnostics. It allows evaluating the propriety of machines operation, avoiding the risk of sudden damage and lessen the level of noise being produced. The method enables the possibility of comparing excitations frequencies in system with natural mode frequencies. Overlapping of these values leads to the resonance and critical damage to the machine.
ODS (Operating Deflection Shape) analysis
A method of studying operating mode of vibrations. Allows determining the form of dynamic structure deformation caused by loads and forces exerted as a result of normal operation. Structure deformation is being determined by relative movement (vector) of specific structure point relative to other specified points. Operating vibration mode depends on value and location of excitations and system’s dynamics characteristics. ODS method is based on direct operating transfer function measurement between two selected points of working structure. This method allows for 3D representation of machine’s oscillations.
Designing and building electronic control systems
- designing and building electronic control systems with printed circuits prototyping, software development and functionality studies, PLC programming,
- designing and building automatic control systems for mobile and stationary machines and tools,
- machines and tools programming,
- electric powertrain components selection,
- designing and building remote monitoring and control systems of machines and tools,
- designing and building special sensors and measuring gear.
Designing and building hydraulic systems
- hydraulic systems calculations and components selection (valves, distributors, hydraulic actuators, hydraulic motors),
- designing and building modern farming machines and tools hydraulic systems,
- designing and building hydraulic actuators control systems.
Exemplary projects (in progress and completed)
- Sowing and cultivation aggregate with mechatronic control system with increased working speed and sowing precision (Projekt INNOTECH K2/IN2/64/182979/NCBR/12),
- Multitasking aggregates for soil hoeing with simultaneous in-soil liquid fertilizers and biological substances application (Projekt celowy ROW-III-256/2012),
- Autonomous fieldd robot for sowing and cultivating wide-ranging crops (Projekt rozwojowy PBS3/B9/32/2015),
- Series of active harvesting rake with mechatronic working modules control system and crops registration (Projekt NCBiR, nr POIR.04.01.04-00-0048/15),
- Hay baler for harvesting roughage with monitoring and on-line control of baling process (Projekt NCBiR, nr POIR.04.01.04-00-0067/18).